jueves, 6 de marzo de 2008

YOU ARE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE

You are not Peter Pan anymore. You are in Madrid now. You have to be "logical, responsible, practical" (SUPERTRAMP).
However, I get back to Kansas every time I open the first page of In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote, and read:
"The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'".
So "get back to where you once belong" (The Beatles)

Literature is always 'out there' whispering in your ears:
"I wonder if I shall fall right through the earth! How funny it'll seem to come out among the people that walk with their heads downwards" (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll)
"It is the fairy language. You ordinary children can never hear it, but if you were to hear it you would know that you had heard it once before" (Peter Pan, by J.M.Barrie)
"Si tu aimes une fleur qui se trouve dans un étoile, c'est doux, la nuit, de regarder le ciel" (Le Petit Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
"I'am seventeen and I'm crazy" (Clarisse to Guy Montag in Farenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury).
"He never stopped talking, and what was awful was, he never said anything you wanted to hear in the first place" (The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger).
I believe in Literature even more than in Billy Wilder. So I will always live in Kansas.

*You are not in Kansas anymore es una popular expresión de El Mago de Oz que viene a significar algo así como: "Vamos, crece, madura, ya no eres un crío".

No hay comentarios: